When attempting to lose a few pounds (or more than just a few), it’s always advisable to look at some of the studies associated with the method of weight loss used.
If you suffer from a chronic or debilitating condition, please consult with your physician before starting a strenuous exercise regime or diet plan.
Below you’ll find 33 brief summaries of recent weight loss studies. You may click on the date to read the full study.
- Aerobic exercises of moderate intensity when done regularly for at least 6 months can reduce weight and waist circumference in obese people. On the other hand, exercises done in longer intervals are not as effective in achieving weight reduction goals, although these can still improve blood pressure and blood cholesterol. Aug 2011
- Boxing as an exercise regimen for weight loss is more effective than brisk walking. Jan 2015
- The low-carbohydrate diet is more effective for weight loss and promotes better heart health than the low-fat diet. Sep 2014
- A diet that is low in both carbohydrates and dairy is effective in weight reduction. Apr 2015
- The paleo diet, or sometimes called the caveman diet, is composed of mainly meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts and berries, foods that early people (stone-age people) used to eat. Farmed foods and dairy are excluded in this diet. It is said to be more effective in inducing weight loss and improving blood cholesterol than heart-healthy foods, or a high fiber, grain-based diet. Jun 2015
- A dietary program that includes (1) eating mainly fruits and vegetables and occasionally low-fat chicken or beef dishes, (2) taking 4-7 teaspoons of cold-pressed oils, (3) having whey protein shakes as replacement for 2 meals every day and (4) the intake of a cleansing product (soluble fiber) and green food supplements all contributed to achieving short-term weight loss. Mar 2013
- Ketogenic diet is a diet composed of high fat, adequate protein but low carbohydrate foods. The high fat foods keep the body feeling full for longer periods. This type of dieting burns more fat and can aid in weight reduction, but is recommended to be done with doctor’s supervision who specializes in medical weight loss. Feb 2014
- A low-calorie diet that includes tea and a high protein shake can cause weight reduction and improvement of cholesterol. Dec 2011
- Exercise alone has minimal weight loss effect. But an exercise regimen coupled with a low-calorie diet, specifically a very low carbohydrate, high protein diet, produces significant weight loss, with a decrease in waist circumference and a reduction of body fat May 2009
- Women who take low carbohydrate diets while undergoing exercise programs experience more weight loss and fat loss as compared to women doing the same exercise program but taking high carbohydrate diets. May 2011
- There is a need to combine an exercise program with a low-calorie diet to be successful in reducing weight and body fat. An exercise program that is composed of high-intensity resistance training is more effective in reducing weight and cholesterol than low-to-moderate-intensity endurance training Apr 2015 Mar 2015
- Legumes such as dry beans, peas, chickpeas, and lentils, taken as part of a low-calorie diet, can aid in weight loss. The complex carbohydrates found in legumes are slow to digest and help curb hunger pangs. Nov 2010
- Consuming oats on a regular basis, as compared to eating a low-fiber diet, can cause reduction in weight and bad cholesterol. It can also reduce waist circumference. Feb 2010
- The beta glucan, the active ingredient in oats can reduce body weight and improve blood cholesterol and liver function. Mar 2013
- Purple tea extract prevents diet-induced weight gain by burning fats and preventing absorption of fats Jun 2015
- Green tea extracts (not the ordinary tea bags) can cause less than 5% weight reduction. May 2014
- Green tea extracts combined with caffeine can induce weight loss by burning calories from fats. Mar 2014
- Regular intake of tea (green, white and oolong tea) can prevent weight gain by burning more calories derived from fat, and also prevents lowering of metabolism that usually accompanies weight loss. Feb 2010
- Pu-erh tea, originally grown in China, contains the active ingredient theabrownin (TB) that causes fat breakdown. It also prevents fat build-up causing overall reduction of weight and a decrease in bad cholesterol. Aug 2012
- The active ingredient catechins in green tea extract is effective in thermogenesis, or the production of heat by the body through the burning of calories. Jan 2007
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid is a supplementation that has many uses. It acts as an antioxidant and promotes nerve health. This is why it is often given to people with diabetes and dementia, and to those suffering from nerve problems. Furthermore, it aids in inducing weight loss because it can convert glucose to energy, meaning it helps burn calories. Jan 2011
- Garcinia Cambogia can prevent obesity by preventing buildup of visceral body fat. However, it can have adverse effects such as liver damage. Aug 2014
- Garcinia Cambogia can suppress appetite and prevent body fat accumulation. It is also shown to have anti-cancer and anti-diabetes properties. Reports on toxicity of this supplement have been associated with commercial preparations that combine garcinia with other weight reducing ingredients. Feb 2015
- Panax Ginseng is effective in weight reduction. It can slightly improve gut flora (the healthy bacteria in the digestive tract) that is also said to help lose weight. Jan 2014
- Capsaicin, the active ingredient present in peppers and chilis, can induce weight loss through thermogenesis, or passive burning of calories. However, due to its pungency, it can irritate the stomach. Capsaisin that is incorporated into oral carrier microparticles reduces this side effect. Mar 2014
- Curcumin, the active ingredient in Turmeric, reduces obesity and curtails the adverse health effects of obesity. It also has antioxidant effects. Jan 2013
- Lifestyle modifications that include regular health meetings, a goal of at least 10% weight reduction, consumption of low-calorie diet and regular exercise all lead to long term weight loss and maintenance. Mar 2013
- Lifestyle modifications like exercise, intake of low-calorie diet, food supplementation (with fiber, conjugated linoleic acid, chromium picolinate, and caffeine), meal replacements (optifast, nutrilet, Cambridge diet) and Orlistat (a medication that prevents fat absorption) are beneficial in reducing and maintaining weight loss. May 2014
- Consuming mostly vegetables during each meal and taking enzymatic, cleansing or probiotic supplements prior to these meals can cause weight loss and an improvement of total cholesterol. Mar 2013
COMPUTER SOFTWARE ON HEALTH (HEALTH APPS)
- Text messages that disseminate weight loss and weight maintenance information are very effective in achieving weight reduction goals. Sept 2013
- Computer software applications (health apps) that promote and maintain health, as compared to printed materials, are found to be more effective in producing weight loss and in maintaining healthy weight. However, it is less effective than having a health trainer or facilitator help a person lose weight. Aug 2012
- Weight loss programs that offer incentives (e.g. cash prize) for achievement of short-term weight goals are effective. Aug 2011
- There is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases. Aug 2013
Kevin Earl, MD
Kevin Earl, MD is a board certified physician and graduated from Arkansas Tech University Magna Cum Laude.
Dr. Earl specializes in non-invasive and minimally invasive anti-aging and body contouring procedures.
His practice, EARLMD in Bentonville, AR, is a patient-centered medical aesthetic practice that uses the latest technology and medical advances to rejuvenate your skin and restore your body to a more youthful appearance.